Autism is a challenging diagnosis for a family. It is more and more common and unknown as to why:
A good book is Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew by Veronica Zysk
1. I am a whole child
2. My senses are out of sync
3. Distinguish between wont and cant
4. I am a concrete thinker; I interpret language literally.
5. Listen to all the ways I’m trying to communicate
6. Picture this. I am visually oriented
7. Focus and build on what I can do rather than what I can’t
8. Help me with social interactions
9. Identify what triggers my meltdowns.
10. Love me unconditionally.
For more help with autism go to your local regional center and visit the Autism Society of Los Angeles or the county in which you live.
For more help with the emotional aspects of this condition and for help with parenting go to http://www.mhurreltherapy.com or call 310-802-4022.